Monday, June 20, 2011

A Season of Contrasts

"The beauty of the world has two edges, one of laughter, one of anguish, cutting the heart asunder."
- Virginia Woolf



Bracelets for Josh - Each person received one
Green in support of organ donation, Purple in support of a cure for CF


Can my life get any more manic? I almost hate to suggest that to the Universe, for fear of getting a good laugh along with another illustration of just how moody it can be.

The last six months or so have been full of ups and downs, radical changes in the very atmosphere surrounding me, and mood swings of epic proportion. I've experienced tremendous personal losses, which have been juxtaposed with days of incredibly joyous occasions.

Even the weather patterns have reflected the manic nature of the season.  Incredibly beautiful days and gossamer nights have given way to nasty storms, damaging hail, and the worst tornado season in history. 

For me, this has been a season of debilitating lows and exhilarating highs. Has it been this way for everyone?

Another example of this zenith/nadir/zenith/nadir season is occuring this week. After a beautiful and bittersweet day in celebration of my great-nephew's life on Saturday, I rose early to accompany The Graceful One on an overnight excursion to Georgia to do a little apartment shopping in advance of her arrival in August. After our day of tears and grief and pain mixed with joy, we had a peaceful Father's Day spent in the car with The Graceful One's dad, enjoying the increasingly idyllic landscape as we drove south. We'll look at some good housing possibilities this morning, and make the nine-hour trek back to Weldon Spring later today, arriving back home (hopefully) before midnight.




I wonder what the next day will hold?

This song will now forever stay with me as "Josh's Song." The memorial for him was filled with beautiful music, sung by his brother, his step-sister, and his step-mother. All were amazing and loving tributes, but this song was the last one sung, and it was sung by the entire gathering, accompanied by Josh's friends on guitars and drums.

The final verse was sung a cappella in a poignant but joyous farewell. We love you, Joshua.

This is "I'll Fly Away" sung by Alison Kraus.





3 comments:

  1. Sending you love and light, and wishing you happy and safe trails.

    ReplyDelete
  2. safe travels, dear jo. i have driven that route many a time ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a beautiful song. She is one of my very favorite country singers. What a voice.

    Jo, enough is enough. All spring long you've been so poised and graceful and willing to take it all on, but it sounds like you've come to the end of your almost limitless patience. That is a relief to me!

    When I get to the end of my rope (much more quickly than you do) I tell God to knock it off. I do, seriously, I do. It always helps in some way, even if the crap continue to fly.

    I am thinking of you with so much love. Glad you're enjoying the landscape. <3

    ReplyDelete

Your visit makes my heart smile. Thank you.